Free is my favorite price, so I love a good roadside find! One day in February, I spotted this fireplace outside of a shop in our neighborhood that makes set pieces and costumes.
Doesn’t it look like it was used in Cinderella? Now that I think about it, the fireplace is kind of like Cinderella pre-Fairy Godmother — in bad need of a makeover!
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to take it on, so I let it sit outside the shop for a few days, getting really wet and moldy, but it just kept calling to me! Being the excellent sport Chris is, he helped me lug it home.
It looked a bit too rustic for me, so I peeled the stone facade off, which was surprisingly easy.
This height screamed “set piece!” to me, so Chris helped me cut it down to a more reasonable size. We cut the hearth down too because the shorter size made it look disproportionate.
I decided to use reclaimed wood from pallets I salvaged on the fireplace surround.
I really liked the mantle from the previous incarnation of the fireplace, but it looked really strange with the new height and it stuck out too far into the room. Consequently, Chris and I decided to make a new mantle with crown molding.
I insisted on doing all woodwork for the facade by myself (I’m trying to become more self-sufficient as a builder!), so it’s not perfect, but hey — it’s a free rustic fireplace!
Here’s how it turned out:
I’m definitely not going to pretend that this was a quick and easy project. It was pretty labor-intensive, but it was a good learning experience for me, and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!
Time to rescue more junk (sorry, Chris)!