Although I love telling a good story, I am rarely one to blab on about myself. However, there are a lot of new people around the blog (welcome!), so I think an introduction is apropos.
Even if you know me or you’ve been around for awhile, stick around! You might just find out something new.
- I drove a tractor at a raspberry farm during the summer to pay my way through college. Like most agricultural workers, I worked more hours than I was off during peak season. I spent days getting a tan (which we didn’t care led to wrinkles and melanoma in those days!) and listening to books on CD. I will always remember driving out of a row of berries one evening as the sun set. Fog was starting to descend on the farm, wisping its fingers through the sea of berry plants, and the sunset reflected orange and purple over the snow left on the mountain in the distance. At that moment, there was no place in the world more beautiful, more peaceful, more perfect than the cab of my New Holland, chugging its way through the rows at one mile an hour. Your food comes from places (and people!) like this!
2. I am a voracious reader. I love funny books — Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis and Where’d you Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple make my shortlist of favorites. My favorite modern authors are Richard Russo and Amy Tan. If you’ve read either of them, you’ll know that this is a weird paring. They could not be more different. I’m thinking about starting a book review page on my blog. What do you think? Good idea?
3. I am an introvert who has adapted to an extrovert’s world. I require hours of solitude after school to reboot. A good weekend to me is one where I have caught up on sleep, read, and gone for a long walk alone. Big crowds of people tend to freak me out.
4. I would like to write a children’s book someday.
5. I act — at least in community theatre. I started acting as a kid. It develops creativity, discipline, work ethic, and people skills! I’m constantly inspired by the people I meet doing theatre. However, being an introvert, I can’t jump from show to show like many actors I know. I need time to get my bearings.
6. I genuinely like classical music. It’s what I listen to when I write. I especially like Debussy. Classic rock (The Beatles, The Eagles, etc.) is my projects-in-the-garage music.
7. I raised pigs as a kid. Yep. I even bottle-fed one of the runt piglets. I was practically Fern. As a 6th grader, I got up at 6am every morning to feed them and muck their pen before school. It’s my own personal version of “I used to walk 4 miles to school uphill both ways.” I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything!
8. My favorite candy is black licorice.
9. I grew up in a 100 year old farmhouse that was in a constant state of remodel. My room was the former master bedroom, and it had an amazing view of the mountains. Before my parents remodeled that room, there was a big chunk of glass missing from the window. I would stuff an old sock into the hole to keep out winter’s chill. Occasionally, frost formed on the inside.
10. The feeling of falling terrifies me, so I am no fun at an amusement park. However, I will hold your phone while you go on the Spinning Wheel of Death and Destruction Mountain of Doom or whatever cruel and unusual punishment the park has to offer. It’s the least I can do as you plummet, invert, and spin your way to puke heaven!
What don’t I know about you?